Thursday, October 15, 2009

Plagiarism - A Losing Battle?

Plagiarism:- "the wrongful appropriation or purloining and publication as one's own, of the ideas, or the expression of the ideas (literary, artistic, musical, mechanical, etc.) of another." The Oxford English Dictionary, Vol. XI, Second Edition.

Despite the lecturers’ efforts to continuously remind students not to plagiarize, I do fear that plagiarism in Malaysia is moving closer towards becoming a culture. These days learning is not a priority anymore. Most students focus on finishing their assignments and getting good grades only. But what is the worth of doing assignments if all the information comes from somebody else’s ideas? In the end, it is just a cut-and-paste job. Personally, I view it as an insult to my intelligence.

As their lecturer, I am not angry at them. I am more disappointed and sad. The English word doesn’t really describe my true feelings. The right word is actually ‘hampa.’ Their failure to realize how important it is to produce or submit original work based on their understanding towards the subject indirectly indicates my failure to educate them. It just feels like I am fighting a losing battle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an educator, I totally agree with you. With the existence of the Internet, students nowadays are so lazy to to think by themselves and spend time searching for info that they could cut and paste. But it's not totally their fault. They haven't been exposed to the methods of citing and referencing. I wish that universities could have a course that specifically teaches them how to cite and use references so that they can make a better job with their future assignments.

dahliaz said...

Yes. It is not totally their fault. I also agree with that. As lecturers, I think we too have the responsibility to tell them the importance of citations, to guide them. However, I would have expected more from final year students who have taken the Business Research Method class and also for Masters students (MBA) who have at least obtained their Bachelor degrees. Sigh.