Thursday, September 27, 2007

Regarding Being Optimistic...

"An optimist is someone who sees opportunity in every disaster. A pessimist is someone who sees disaster in every opportunity." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1954).

I have another version of viewing the two personalities. An optimist is a person who stops at nothing to succeed, a pessimist is a person who gives reasons for every failures. An interesting article in The Star recently stated that there are four level of optimism:
Level 1: Has a positive outlook. Expects favorable results from self and others.
Level 2: Is optimistic about the future. Demonstrates confidence and a sense of control over events.
Level 3: Is resilient. Has the ability to recover from setbacks.
Level 4: Learns from disappointments. Analyses setbacks to learn from them.

According to the article, successful leaders operate at the third level and above.

I always find this topic to be important because having to deal with students all the time, I realized that being pessimists can actually be the root to their problems. Many of them fail to sail through their academic years smoothly because they are pessimist individuals, not because they don't have the capabilities to do so. Whenever they didn't do well in any exams or project papers, they thought that it was the end of the world already. They don't understand that for many lecturers, their improvements in class are at times more important than their results. Anybody can score if they work hard enough, but not many can stand up again after a fall. To be an optimist, you have to first be proud of, and believe in yourself. I told my students they need to walk straight because that itself will reflect their confidence levels, right? I sometimes talk about my experiences to help boost up their morale...I also reward them for their achievements whenever possible. I told them that I will always view them highly in the beginning. It will be up to them to shape my opinions of them afterwards.

Logically, optimists will also carry themselves well in organizations. Therefore, in my opinion, it is very important for universities to generate competitive graduates who are not only excellent in their academic achievements, but who can also wade through obstacles and challenges successfully. What say you?

3 comments:

Zaidah M said...

"I told them that I will always view them highly in the beginning."

But wouldn't that just frustrates you when they don't live up to your HIGH expectations? Better to take them as they are and then frame your regards when they earn them from you? - Just my 2 cents tho.

I'd take people at face value :)

On another side of coin, being optimistic can also be frustrating and devastating so better to have bad view and when things turn positive, we'll be pleasantly surprised.

But then, I always think of myself as HOPELESSLY OPTIMISTIC. Yea, i believe change in possible even in BOLEHLAND heh heh.

Anonymous said...

".....very important for universities to generate competitive graduates who are not only excellent in their academic achievements, but who can also wade through obstacles and challenges successfully."

Yup....agree...coz in the working world, things can be different from the text book world.

-niasulaiman-

Anonymous said...

Ayoyoo being optimistic ka. I used to be just like you (assuming we're on student-lecturer issue laa) a.k.a thinking they're angelic until proven otherwise!!

But from the current 'lie-in-my-face-and-think-i'm-dumb-n wouldn't-know hoot' incident from moi punya students..... hohooo NEVER again will I think of them that way..

Probably starting from next semester onwards, they'll be tagged "Devils until proven otherwise" ..hahahhaa

From 101.1 (7605)