Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I am a Teacher.

Time flies, classes completed, semesters ended. I have always enjoyed my task as a teacher. Considering the fact that I never wanted to be a teacher when I was small because both my parents were teachers, this comes as a surprise to me too. It is refreshing to be able to share knowledge with my students and hopefully one day, they too would share their knowledge with somebody else. My joys of teaching normally came from the interactions I had with my students, the knowledge gained from them. I always believe that what make a good teacher are always the students. I enjoyed it when students challenged me with questions, when students participated in the discussion. And I treasured the input I got from my students. I always have. I took pride when they learned something in my class and I took pride in their successes (even though my role in their successes probably is very, very small). I appreciated the positive verbal and nonverbal reactions shared during class time. They didn’t necessarily have to get an A to gain my respect. Because for me MBA is not about scoring, MBA is about learning. When students graduated from MBA, they should be able to carry the MBA qualities with them. Knowledge is power. And with great power comes great responsibility.

With teaching, I cannot run away from awarding grades. It’s part of the parcel. But it saddened me when students, upon receiving their grades put the blame solely on the teachers for not guiding them well. And yet they were the ones playing with Facebook while I was teaching, they were the ones talking while I was straining my voice so that the others could hear, and they were the ones remaining passive for the whole 14 weeks (some didn’t even bother to come to class). Sigh. For me grades should be earned and not given. Good grades will have to be paired with serious efforts and determinations.

Still, I apologize if in the course of my teachings, I fail to carry my tasks as expected. As a human, perfection is out of the question. But I can always pray for a near perfection one day. Insyaallah. Thank you for those who have been supportive in my classes all these while. Thank you for giving me a chance. A wise man once said that we will learn something every day if we pay attention. Be observant.


You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives. ~Clay P. Bedford

3 comments:

Axiao said...

Hi Prof,

Just dropping by.

Nana said...

Been really busy lately. Lama tak bukak your blog. Yeah .. being a teacher is gratifying innit?

baca your blog ni makes me wanna write about something heheh .. nak luahkan perasaan gaks hehe!

dahliaz said...

Nana..by all means, do write. It'll help us to keep sane. Haha.